You are passionate about aviation and like to be in the middle of the action?
This job may be for you!
SOPFIM is looking for candidates to hold the position of Ground Operations Coordinator at its various bases of operation (airports). We offer the opportunity to work with us year after year. The selected candidates will be assistant managers for the first year. You will be involved in the delivery of the 2023 Spruce Budworm Aerial Spraying Program and for the future years.
Who Are We?
Created in 1990, SOPFIM is a private, non-profit organization jointly administered by the Ministère des Ressources naturelles et des Forêts and the Quebec forest industry. It is the only organization recognized in the biological control of forest pests in Quebec.
- A team of passionate and motivated people that can go up to 300 persons during the spraying periods
- Outdoor work on an aviation base (airport)
- A stimulating working environment
- A wide range of responsibilities
- An intensive work schedule (an average of 10 hours a day, 7 days a week), with a short employment period (6 to 7 weeks), allowing you to carry out your personal projects for the rest of the summer.
Reporting to the General Foreman, the coordinators are responsible for ground operations, which includes loading aircraft with biological insecticide.
Specifically, you will:
- Manage dayworkers
- Participate in the base set-up and tear-down
- Ensure the coordination of ground operations on a daily basis
- Operate equipment required to load aircraft with insecticide, such as generators, motor pumps, vacuum pumps, etc.
- Interact with the various stakeholders present to ensure efficient operations.
- Ability to work in a team
- Ability to work manually
- Ability to supervise a team of 2 to 4 persons
- Be in a good physical condition and be able to adapt to different times of the day (see proposed conditions for more details)
- Be proactive and have good interpersonal skills
Conditions Proposed by the SOPFIM team
- This is a 7-week position, more or less
- Work environment at one of the following airports: Dolbeau, Saint-Honoré, Forestville, Mont-Joli, Ste-Anne-des-Monts, Gaspé, Pabos, Bonaventure, Charlo, Amos, and Val d’Or
- SOPFIM will cover the candidate’s travel and living expenses for the duration of his employment (hotel, expense allowance, car, computer equipment, etc.)
- A competitive hourly wage of $25,94 (with an annual increase)
- A guaranteed work schedule of 50 hours/week from Monday to Friday
- On weekends, a minimum of 6 hours per day at time and a half is also guaranteed
- The schedule for the position offered is established on shifts cut according to the possible operating windows during the day (the flight periods are planned by the base manager. They are of variable duration and are carried out according to the weather conditions)
- Start date:
- Training period: On or about March 22, 2023, until the end of April
(Work schedule Monday to Friday, 7¾ hrs per day, 38¾ hrs per week).
- Spraying program: Operations for the spraying program will begin in late May, and end in mid-July
(Work formula 7 days a week, described in the proposed conditions).
- We will prioritize candidates interested in returning over the years.
- The candidate must be available 7 days a week during the period of operations
- Able to travel regionally for the duration of operations
- Valid class 5 driver’s license.
The offer will be posted until all positions are filled.
This employer is an equal opportunity employer with an equal employment opportunity program for women, aboriginal peoples, visible minorities, ethnic minorities, and persons with disabilities.